Stricter guidelines for Medicare
As a pre-pharmacy student that actually works in a pharmacy, I am aware of the current procedures and rules in pharmacy. I constantly see the abuse of government funded medication programs and I also then see those who do not receive assistance from the government and have to go without their medication, which is definitely not okay. I believe that everyone has a time in their life when they need help and I think help should be given. I do not think you should fill out paperwork and then receive assistance. I think there needs to be supervision. I am forced to hold my tongue when a couple drives up in a new mercedes and have the audacity to complain about their two-dollar medicare paid for prescriptions are too expensive. Then have to sit and watch an elderly man or woman leave their inhaler until next time when they have a little more money. That is absolutely ridiculous and something needs o be changed.
Medical Careers
The world we live in today is very materialistic, end of story. People see that doctors, pharmacists, nurses and jobs of similar nature make a very nice salary. Just because one passes the test doesn't mean they just get their license. Being a caretaker for another human takes people skills, compassion and most importantly sympathy for another human being. The job is about the patient, not yourself. The amount of rude people who clearly do not love their job I have encountered in my life is astonishing. I believe further observation and psychology tests need to be administered before the license is so easily handed over.
Drug Abuse
It is a pretty well known fact that people abuse their prescriptions. Whether is be anxiety, pain or sleep aids. Something needs to change. As sad as it is, I think more medications needs to be monitored as much as C2 drugs such as Concerta, Adderall and Vyvanse. I also think that patients need to come in monthly for a new pain script. As of right now, a doctor can write for additional refills which is only giving room for an addiction to occur. If it is monitored more closely I think it would improve healthcare.
Jessica, I see your passion written loud and clear all over this post! It's just awesome to see someone so passionate about her career and involved in its issues. In a lot of ways, I can see that these issues are really related. Or at least some of the possibilities for solutions have consequences that relate to other areas. For instance, it would be a great idea for certain prescriptions to require monthly doctor's visits to renew--however, those dr.'s appointments cost under health insurance and medicare, making some of those elderly from your first topic suffer or go without those medications. That being said, it might make sense to pitch this on Monday as an interest in medical topics. You could be a little less specific, in favor of outlining some of the many problems you'd be interested in tackling under this name and how they affect society. It would show your classmates that you are interested in the whole range of topics under this rubric, not necessarily one or the other? And it would also illustrate how inter-related all of our decisions about healthcare are. I'm curious to see what you might think of as a successful system, and if that exists anywhere in the world currently.
ReplyDelete