Well for starters, I wasn’t even aware that I was being
recorded. It wouldn’t have made a difference though because being recorded doesn’t
bother me. However, doing the speech in front of the class is another story. I
hate public speaking, but hate watching myself give a speech even more. This
was painful to say the least.
First off, I talk with my hands….a lot. Every word has a
different hand motion. This is very distracting. That’s the only thing I could
focus on the whole time. I also talk fast in general so when told to give a
speech, the speed only increases. Between my fast-talking and hand motions I don’t
really know what I was talking about. Above all, my speech was also too short. I
think I was 2 seconds shy of making it to a minute, which isn’t annoying or
anything. I definitely have a lot to work on before my next speech.
Although I had many flaws I definitely was passionate about what
I was talking to my audience about. I was loud enough for people to hear me and
I think I was knowledgeable on the subject I was talking about.
Jessica, I'm glad the recording didn't bother you, but I'm sorry it was painful to watch. I think everyone feels that way when they have to watch themselves on recording. I definitely agree that your passion for the topic came through, and I think that part of that was your hand gestures. While they may have been a little distracting, it gave a more natural air to your speech and some emphasis--this is way better than trying to break out of stiffness (and easier I think). You're at a great starting point for the future and we'll work on these things in the coming weeks.
ReplyDelete