Monday, January 20, 2014

Blog #1: 5 Arguments

1. A big argument in today’s society and an interest to me is politics. Whether you are a democrat or a republican I feel like it should be a private matter. Since moving to Kentucky I have been surrounded by republicans and numerous opinions of those around me. I never really considered myself to be one of the two but rather neutral. I see bumper stickers on many cars, and conversations about the awful president we have all the time. Even when the election is over and one may think there is a break, there is never a break. After one is over the planning and preparation begin for the next. One could argue and defend their beliefs but no matter one, it is a battle that cannot be won.

2. For me, growing up in a Catholic setting was the norm. I have always gone to church, have been surrounded by people with the same beliefs and have prayed. I prayed before class, after class, even at lunch. One argument that still to this day is an issue is praying before a football game. Being a cheerleader, I disagree strongly with the recent change. Because IHSA is not catholic, prayer cant be said before hand. I don’t think it should be against the rules. We live in the United States and I believe that if you want to pray, then you should be able to.

3. I’ve known for a very long time that pharmacy was the right career for me. I also knew that my mom would only let me go to a college with a top ten-pharmacy school. Kentucky’s prestigious reputation informed me very well. With all the newsletters I received in the mail and its outstanding rankings and awards it was a very easy decision. Kentucky was my favorite out of all the colleges I applied to. It was also the farthest, which didn’t sit well with my parents. I knew that if I wanted my parent’s blessings and I had to take all the information I had read about and make them believe it was the best fit as well. So here I am, another person who made a decision based on a persuasive argument given by the University of Kentucky.

4. Over the course of five or six years, Facebook has had its ups and downs. It was popular at first and now not so much. An argument I come across often with my parents is the fact that I don’t know half of the people I’m friends with. I never think twice when posting details of my life with strangers. Some could argue it’s a dangerous world and that I should be more careful. Others could also say that it is a way to make friends and explore possible friendships. Putting yourself out there and taking the risk is how a person grows, so shouldn’t we all try and put ourselves out there to learn more about not just the people we know but these so called strangers as well?

5. Since becoming a member of the Greek community this past semester, one could easily agree that Greek life itself is an argument. It is constantly being talked about by those involved and by those who are not, whether you are for it or against it, it is a highly talked about subject. You are told about it during orientation, you receive a pamphlet in the mail and you constantly are bombarded with images of sorority life and the crazy stories that come along with it. At this day and age one almost doesn’t have a choice. It could very easily make or break your first year of college. Many girls in my building have transferred schools because they had trouble meeting friends. With over 1200 girls rushing, I could understand why. But what is this saying? Are incoming freshman being informed to rush to make friends and to fit in?  












1 comment:

  1. Great post, Jessica. You're asking a lot of wonderful questions here and entering some pretty serious conversations…any of which might be interesting to tackle for the semester. I especially love that you're tackling questions that don't necessarily have "right" or "wrong" answers. Is there anything here that moves you so much to think about arguing about it all semester?

    As someone who never attended a school with Greek life, I've always been intrigued by the argument that you put forth in #5. I'm not for or against, but can see the merits of both sides. I think what struck me most about what you wrote was the fact that people transfer schools over this issue. This leads me to wonder: How big is the Greek population of campus? You would think on a campus as big as UK, that there wouldn't be any difficulty meeting people. Why is there such a difficulty--is it because of Greek Life or is this a totally separate issue? Could it be related to your ideas in number 4?

    ReplyDelete